Sunday, March 22, 2009

End of Term Escapades

Well, term is over and there are two months until exams with no classes that are necessary to attend. Neat! In fewer than 24 hours Jaime will be here. Because of her arrival, I cleaned my room quite nicely. This entailed hoovering. Yes, I hoovered. People don’t vacuum over here. They also use plasters instead of band-aids. Interesting!

I also had an English Fry-Up again. If you try one, go for the fried bread. Hokey pete. It’s bread that’s fried in oil. Brilliant! I asked for deep-fried bread and was laughed at. The fried eggs are good as well, and the sausage is to die for.

Here’s a funny story about English cuisine: I asked Jaime what she wanted for dinner- a British meal (beans on toast) or a tasty meal(fresh tortellini). She chose tasty over British. Go figure. She’ll just have to try the fry-up.

Today I walked to Tesco by myself in the lovely, warm sunshine to get ingredients for the tasty meal. The walk was grand. There are daffodils and other bulb flowers all along the walkway. There were puffy white clouds in the deep blue sky. It wasn’t freezing. I didn’t even wear a jacket! I felt the sun on my arms! I was in heaven. No offense to humans in general, but it was also nice to be alone with my thoughts. People who passed me probably thought I was a bit odd as I burst into smiles randomly throughout the walk. Oh well.

Tomorrow I have to leave for Heathrow at 9 35 to pick up Jaime. It’ll be awesome! I will be spending a lot of time reading on a bus. This also sounds relaxing, no? I’ll probably read some Gogol and lose some faith in humanity. That sounds like a good way to spend a Monday.

1 comment:

  1. YAAAAAAAAYYY! I will try anything except maybe for that black pudding stuff! You really have to leave at 9:35? I don't arrive until 14:05...hmm.

    Yay! See you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete