Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Stunning St. Patrick’s Day!

I would like to begin by wishing everyone a merry St. Patrick’s Day! There doesn’t seem to be much enthusiasm for the day over here, which is a bit sad. I remember the days of driving about in Laguna with friends dancing(and clapping!) to Flogging Molly and scaring other drivers. Tonight I’ll celebrate by swashbuckling about and drinking a Guinness.

Let me tell you a bit I’ve heard about Guinness while I’ve been here, which has been (sort of) proven by Wikipedia.

1. Guinness is good for you! “Studies claim that Guinness can be beneficial to the heart. Researchers found that antioxidant compounds in Guinness, similar to those found in certain fruits and vegetables, are responsible for health benefits because they slow down the deposit of harmful cholesterol on the artery walls.”

2. Guinness is high in iron! “Guinness is also said to help the body replenish lost blood. When people used to donate blood in Ireland, it is said they were given a pint of Guinness afterward. This is supposedly due to its iron content.”

Now, it says it only supposedly has high iron content, so I’m not sure about its veracity. Still, isn’t that interesting? Even more interesting is this tidbit I found while “researching”: “Guinness stout is made from water, malt, barley, hops, brewer's yeast and is treated with isinglass made from fishes' air bladders.” Well! There you have it.

Last weekend I went to London again. I went to see the changing of the guards at Buckingham palace, but didn’t see too much. These things happen, I guess. I also got to see a musical at West End! That musical was... Grease! Yes, the American classic. One of the actors slipped into a British accent for about half a sentence. How funny is that?

3 comments:

  1. Nice facts on Guinness! Happy St. Patty's Day to you Jen. Later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in my days as a thirsty college student, it was well known that selling your blood was doubly effective - not only did you get beer money, but the loss of blood made the effect greater.

    Man, I'm glad my kids can't read yet.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you could have afforded Guinness back then, maybe the extra iron would have negated the loss of blood factor...

    ReplyDelete