Saturday, March 21, 2009

Tasty, Tempting Treats (Nearly) Tantamount to Toccatas

Well, yesterday was the last day of term, which makes this the first day of Spring Break in my eyes. Some of my friends left for London already, some are off to France, some are off to various parts of England, and I’m gleefully awaiting the arrival of Jaime! In recent news, I got a medal for Derby Day.

How exciting is that? I also competed in an epee competition, where I tied for fourth place! This was out of about 15 people. Fortunately, the coach brought chocolate and beer for everyone, and people chose the chocolate in the order in which they won. (It could have been worse! Who needs to aim for the stars when even the lowliest fencer is guaranteed chocolate?)

I thus left the final fencing meeting laden with a lovely medal inscribed with “Derby Day Fencing V’s U.E.A. 2009” and 400 grams of Toblerone. If that isn’t nice, I don’t know what is! Speaking of nice, today I’m taking a rest-day which entails eating the Toblerone and listening to different versions of Symphony 7 Allegretto (Beethoven) and Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Bach). I would strongly, strongly recommend that you watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o

It’s so cool! It’s the Toccata and Fugue, and it shows all the different pitches and when they’re played! I’m obviously a bit excited by it! I realize that it might not be the most beautiful version of the song, but it's so neat to watch the notes. Visual and Aural unite for an unparalleled sense experience! (That's what I would have said if I posted this.)

On a different note (no pun intended) I’ve also been doing cooking experiments. Many involve tasty drinks. Here’s one:

This is a Chinese summer drink, or so I’ve heard from my Chinese flatmates. It's pronounced "tsah-gwah-p/ban-dzee." This drink took about 1/4 of a can of fruit cocktail, some cut up jelly, (this is probably not going to be found in the states, so one could substitute gummy bears or other gummy candy) blackcurrant squash, and fizzy orange drink. Of course, one could add any fruit and juice. There should, however, carbonation. It should also be chilled, and ingested with a spoon. Yum!

Here’s another. It’s an experiment, and is not quite as recommended as the previous drink.

It was made with mashed up cantaloupe, crushed ice, ice-cream, and milk! I hope everyone has a grand weekend. It was pretty good, but a bit tasteless. Also, if one is looking for new taste-experiences, I recommend Battenberg Cake. It’s heavenly! It’s blaringly British!

2 comments:

  1. Where's the pic of your trophy? The cantelope drink looks really good! I like the intermingling layers.
    Blackcurrant squash? Huh.

    ReplyDelete