Monday, April 27, 2009

Because I’m Back on the Blogging Bandwagon

I have sort of fallen off the blogging bandwagon. But I’m back! I’ll just say that the rest of the trip went almost-swimmingly. We spend a few more days in Amsterdam, spent a day in Brussels, two more in Bruges, and then a few days in Calais. I rode an elephant! I went to sleep in the van with the glow of the ferries going between France and England in my eyes! Then I went to Faye’s house for Easter. Now I’m back.

The weather here used to be absolutely magnificent. I spent most of last week outside by the lake, either reading, taking pictures, planning essays, talking, or playing American football. Now the weather has turned, and I’m finding the idea of sitting in front of a computer to be much more bearable.

Over the weekend I got to compete in an epee competition. I got 6th place... out of 10 people. That’s not too bad, though, since I prefer sabers. It should also be noted that I came in first for the women’s competition. (Yes, I was the only female to compete. I’ll take what I can get.)
Here I am actually scoring a point. Intense!

Epee is fun, though, because any part of the body is on-target. (In other words, I could hit someone on the mask or the big toe and get a point. This is different than, say, foil, with which one can only get points by hitting the torso.)

The competition finished by 4 30, but we had the court until 6. So we played basketball, of course! My team won by a fair margin. It rocked. Tomorrow I’m going to London to be part of a BBC radio audience. That’s pretty exciting, I’d say.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet picture! How many matches did you play? What was your win/loss? I bet carrying around any sort of sword will help stave off flesh eating gorillas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played 9 matches to 5 (of which I won 4!) and then one match to 15 (which I lost.)

    ReplyDelete