Saturday, April 11, 2009

Europe Trip Part 1

I'm finally back from Europe! Now I'm relaxing at Faye's house in the countryside of Suffolk. Very nice! So I'll be writing this while looking out the window at a green fields, grey skies, and birdies flitting by and whistling. Not bad!

I'll write based on my journal from the trip. Here goes!

Yesterday at midnight I left on the Europe Trip with six other people. Wow! Things started out a bit horridly when Steve got lost in the first five minutes. But then the toll road wasn't taking money, showing that things would certainly get better. We got to the ferry at around 3:30, and boarded at 4:00. We slept for around 45 minutes on benches. I thought to myself "enjoy this sleep, because it could be your last good sleep for a while." (I was right! I was so right!)

We got in to France(Calais to be exact) at 6, but the time change made it 7. Nothing was open (or even near) so we went to a huge mall which opened its doors at 8 30. The Mall of Europe! Isn't it magical? It reminded me of Disneyland!

We huddled outside in the cold for half an hour, then sat inside for a while. But we were awarded baguettes and chocolate eclairs for our wait (and even chips and coke!) Lauren and Tina got sandwiches which Grandpa Hopkins would have loved- they were literally dripping mayonnaise. (Well, they were sort of dropping globules, but dripping sounds less icky.) We listened to The Final Countdown, Mr. Blue Sky, Madonna, and more!

Maddie pointed out: Everything in France is symmetrical!
Steve had a great idea: We have the national anthem for every country we're listening. So when we cross the border we blast the new national anthem. Fun!

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see you blogging again. Why'd you leave late at night instead of in the afternoon or something? Were there bicycles laying around that you could just ride around the city for free/almost free? Did the baguettes taste different in France? Does Faye and her family know you are the Easter bunny?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, in order, I don't know why we left late at night. Seems a bit silly, eh? No there weren't. A bit, but not really. No they don't. Let's keep that on the lowdown! And to Mr. Jim- yeah! But fortunately not as much as Californians.

    ReplyDelete