Monday, January 12, 2009

AAAAAGGgh! (Or, The Day Classes Started)

It’s a bit stressful going to a completely new school in a completely new country for the first time. But it’s fun! It’s fun in a “hokey pete what is going on I feel so lost and confused ooh nice accent I’ve never seen this building what time is it?!” sort of way. Lets just say that at times I felt as if I were in a Paternoster lift about to be decapitated, or being chased by a crazed gorilla. (Note that I probably wouldn't be chased by a crazed gorilla in a lift. that's a bit too much, even for an English major's metaphor.)

I’m probably giving Americans a bad name. At least all the teachers and administrators look at me like I’m a bit insane. I’m taking 1st through 3rd year classes, and they only take 3 years to graduate over here. So I’ve got all the years covered. Then I’m taking two English classes, a computer science class, and a Latin American studies class. Based on American schools, where I need a “cultural understanding” class, have a minor, and need English electives (which can be 100 levels) my course choices are understandable. Here, though, I must look like a person with multiple personality disorder. I’ve gotten comments. Well, about the weird classes, not about multiple personality disorder.

It doesn’t help that I’m a bit ill and so can’t speak loudly, keep sniffling, and touching my neck. (Sore lymph nodes. Bummer! I hope the Black Death isn’t still a big problem over here. That would be a bad way to start the semester...) Oh well, it’s still exciting. European Literature looks immensely exciting. At one part I couldn’t help smiling as the professor said “We took money from the Italians” where “we” referred to the English. Ha! He included me in the “we” of England! I feel accepted.

My Computer Science class is about the most perfect class I could imagine for myself. Logic and computer programming together in perfect harmony! I can’t think of anything better. I’m sure some people are reading this going “A trip to the dentist would be a lot better.” Wrong! Well, I suppose I’ll add a few interesting facts since they are, at least in my opinion, quite interesting.

Interesting Fact 1: Ground beef is apparently referred to as minced meat. I’m not sure everyone does that though. Just one person that I’m sure of. Don’t quote me on it.

Interesting Fact 2: English is different than British. English only refers to people from England, whereas British is a broader term. I think. That one’s a bit sketchy for me since I’m a bit of an outsider. But people might correct you if you say the wrong thing! Fear. They could get angry.

Interesting Lingo: Scatty means a bit scatterbrained and flighty. Cheerleaders, for example, are often considered to be scatty. Cool!

2 comments: