Saturday, January 31, 2009

When a Waffle is not a Waffle. Awful.

I went to a bar with the fencing club last night for half-price cocktails and karaoke. Nice! We went to a place called Waffles, which does not serve waffles. English people. I got a cocktail which included three scoops of ice cream, lots of whipped cream, a bit of galaxy chocolate bar, and, apparently, some alcohol. I don’t know if I believe the last bit. But it was only 2 pounds 50! By the way, if you are wondering what chocolate to buy while in England, galaxy chocolate bars are pretty amazing. They taste so real! Also try the kit kats over here. Yum!

After a few drinks most of the people were hesitantly looking at the karaoke sheets. To sing or no to sing ? One person, who had taken around 9 shots or so decided to sing Delilah. It was a sight to behold. I almost wept, as it was sung with such fervor. Then, the entire club went up to sing “You Give Love a Bad Name”. It was an intense and quite unforgettable experience. I did not sing alone, but might next time I get the chance. The songs I was considering: “I Don’t Like Mondays” (about a school shooting; not the best choice.) and “Brothers in Arms” (With the cheery quote “let me bid you farewell. Every man has to die.) I decided to forego these choices as I did not want everyone to think I was a violent, somewhat psychopathic American.

When we left shortly after, people smiled and waved. We decided they were probably so cheerful because they would not have to hear us sing again. It stung. In fact, it stung like the bitter cold weather outside. I got a chance to see the stars, though, and see the big dipper. Here it’s called the plough. Wow.

Speaking of differences, want to see some signs here that you probably wouldn’t find in the states? I hope so!


Figure 1: A No Entry sign. It doesn’t give a reason why you will be killed, but there is definitely Danger of Death. From what? Lightning? Righteous fury from above? They let you use your imagination, I guess.


Figure 2: The back of an ice cream truck. I found this a bit confusing as there were no children around. How do I mind an imaginary child? Which child is “that” child? What if there are multiple children? Then do you only have to mind that one?

I hope everyone is having a lovely last day of January, and I’ll write more later. Hopefully it will be about the Silent Disco. Curious? Wait, then, for the next entry!

3 comments:

  1. ... no way...
    Gorillas that can shoot lightning...
    ...Do they eat you after electrocuting you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frankly, poor scared teenager, I would not be surprised. Maybe you shouldn't come over here. Are you willing to risk your life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This past week, coincidentally, was the 30th anniversary of the school shooting that inspired the song "I don't like Mondays". And, interestingly and unstereotypically, the shooter was a female. Hmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete