Thursday, January 8, 2009

Brits in the Mist (Initial Reaction)

Well, I made it to England. I figured I could first, for those who have never experienced English dorm life, tell some pros and cons I have found.

pro: people are very polite and helpful
con: showers are not-quite-as-nice as showers in Mexico.
pro: I get my own room
con: It's the size of a small cubicle
pro: I can access any part of my room while still wearing my headphones
con: My bed is the size of a small rodent. (My twin sheets are about a foot too wide for the bed.)
pro: It's lovely
con: The sun does not exist.
pro: I get to discuss the pros and cons of living in England!

New two-word phrase of the day: We'll get there at half six. Oh dear. Half six is just six thirty, obviously. It becomes a bit less obvious, though, when it is pronounced with a British accent and sounds like "off six". It sounds a bit off, anyway. I'd say only half off though.

Interesting fact of the day: Meetings are boring even in foreign countries. One would guess that it would be fun to listen to a person speak with a British accent. Not so! Rambling is rambling in any accent, I suppose.

Today is ridiculously foggy. I can't see more than 100 meters... er... 100 feet. I wish I could use meters with such confidence. Who would guess that London Fog is real? I thought it was a myth to scare off visitors. I'm looking down from my eighth story window, and have come up with a brilliant title for the blog: Brits in the mist. Much more exciting than gorillas. And hopefully less depressing. I guess we'll have to find out as time goes on.

5 comments:

  1. Pics! Pics! We want pics! Maybe you could call your blog "Camera in the Mist." Can you see the ground from your 8th floor window, or is it too foggy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't the gorillas eat that woman?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen!
    Great commentary - I feel like I'm there right now! A small-rodent bed in a small-cubicle room. Sounds pretty cramped. Keep up the positive attitude - your headphones comment was hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Mr. Jim Hopkins: Actually gorillas eat people all the time over here! It's a real problem. I'm thinking of doing a documentary. It could be called "Brits in the midst... of the jaws of a gorilla." That has a certain ring to it as well.
    To Mrs. Jackie Hopkins: Thanks! Why would your husband think that gorillas eat people? He's sort of weird.
    To Mrs. Laurie: I can see the ground. Maybe I could take a picture of it and post it! Tomorrow maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the documentary was a hit, you have a built in sequel: "28 Hours Later - Brits in the Midst of the Small Intestine"

    ReplyDelete