Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday Finds Female Feeling Fatigued, Famished.

Yesterday was somewhat tiring. And by somewhat I mean completely and ridiculously. I had two classes. The last one was from 5-7, two hours of dinner-time lecture, so I felt somewhat drained after that. I then went to fencing at 8 until 10 then showered and went to a dance party from 10:45 – 2:45. Let me say a bit more about the latter two activities, since four sentences don’t seem to constitute a sufficient amount of information for an effective entry.

Fencing: Fun! Tiring!*
Dancing: Fun! Tiring!**

Needless to say, I’m a bit tired and sore today. But I’m going to join Travelling Society and sign up for a trip to London tomorrow and a trip to Barcelona at the end of February. That should be so exciting that I’ll be able to start a paper on democracy in 19th century Latin America. (Yes, I actually do have classes. Who would have guessed?)

*I was worried that my fencing instruction in the states would be completely inadequate. I thought that my classical style would buckle and break under the more intense modern style which might have been taught. Not so! They were not amazingly superior, which boosts my self esteem as a deadly killer. (Please don’t laugh. It hurts my feelings.) I only fenced one person, but held my own and probably even got more hits in. And that person said he was better than a lot of other fencers in the club. Nice!

I also tried electric gear for the first time. There were a few problems. For instance, my helmet was too big so sat right against my forehead. I actually have an irritated bit of skin on my forehead from wire mesh being rammed into my skull with a sword. Intense! (Ok, it wasn’t rammed into my skull. Drama makes for a more interesting read!) The buzzer also wasn’t working very well since the person I fenced was right handed but had to use a left handed saber. It kept beeping randomly, so sometimes we thought there was a hit when really it was just bleeping out its anger. (Get a right handed bleeping saber already! You’re bleeping confusing me! ... hey I’m tired. Right.) I had a surprising amount of fun for knowing only one person there. I think I’ll even go again to get some exercise. I found out that if one enters a competition over here one can get a rating for the British Fencing Society or something. I could be an internationally ranked fencer! Neat! (35,057th out of 35,100 is still a ranking!)

**Last night was Alternative Night. This meant that techno was not the only music being played. There were, however, some techno songs. Two techno remixes that stand out in my memory were remixes of Metallica and Nine Inch Nails. Fascinating! There were also songs by The Killers, System of a Down, and Daft Punk. Dance party!

Oh, about the dance party thing: I’m the only one who calls them dance parties I think. Everyone else calls them dances or just says the title (e.g. I’m going to Ibiza tonight. Aka glow-in-the-dark dance party!)

5 comments:

  1. You could name that left-handed saber Gordon!!!! As in, "Cheers, I think I'll use the bleeping Gordon tonight." Or, "Bleeping cheers, I see you're bleeping stuck with the bleeping Gordon this evening."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the good news is that any paper on Democracy in 19th century Latin America is liable to be short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Laurie: I lol'ed! I haven't run into Gordon over here, sadly. but I'll keep a lookout.

    To Jim: Yeah! Except I have to write 3,000 words. "Democracy is a,b,c. They did not have a,b,c. Let me rephrase... Democracy is b,a,c. They did not have b,a,c." etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Democracy is where people have the vote. In 19th century Latin America, they didn't have the vote. For example, Carlos Montoya never got a chance to vote on his own reprentatives. Neither did his wife, Maria. Nor his father Grande Carlos. Or his sons, Hector, Pepe and Carloscito. Or their wives Angelina, Lupe and Ducinea, nor their children LaToya, etc. etc."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet the professors over here would be impressed by the U.S. writing style if I did that.

    ReplyDelete