Thursday, January 15, 2009

Deliberately Deliberating on Dissimilarities

Though first I’ll speedily state some similarities!

A few nights ago people listened to:

The Who
The Killers
Blink 182
The YMCA song

Last night at this cool place where students play music they played:

Guns and Roses(Sweet Child of Mine)
Lynyrd Skynyrd(Free Bird! But just a bit of it as a joke.)
Some Emotional boy song from the states

They also watch tons of American movies. It’s funny when I see how similar the countries are. (For instance, they do have peanut butter here. Yay! I was told differently.) But that’s not very interesting to write about. (Obviously. I’m discussing the joys of peanut butter.) So, want to hear some interesting differences?

-The “cool kids” listen to techno

-They walk on the left side*

-They say cheers instead of thanks**

-Their clocks use all 24 hours (e.g. my class at 5:00 is marked as 17:00) and they do the math when you ask what time it is! I, unfortunately, still look at the clock and say “It’s erm.. 21... which is... you know... (cough) nine! It’s nine at night!” and smile proudly. I’m going to be so good at subtracting by twelve by the end of the semester!

*Back in the states(wow doesn’t that sound neat?) I wondered about this. Since they drive on the left would they also walk on the left? I wondered, but never thought “maybe I’ll have problems.” Oh, I have problems. I’ve walked into a few people because we’re both on the right and do that little head nod meaning “yeah the right person will move when the time comes” and then neither one of us does. I’m getting used to walking on the left, though. But when I do so and watch people moving gracefully around to the right I have to resist the urge to dart to the right as well. It’s intense. It’s a test of willpower.

**How cool is that? I first thought only males did it, but then a cleaning lady said it as well. Hurrah! That means I can use “cheers” to my heart’s content! Except I’ll feel like a poser. Is it worth it? I'll try and let you know. If I'm not too embarrassed. We'll see.

5 comments:

  1. Um, I definetly said cheers instead of thanks at least twice today without feeling like a poser, so you're good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, instead of slam dancing your way around campus, you are slam-walking? Maybe you can say you are sight-impaired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. true word! I walk by braille! and maybe instead of saying sorry i could say cheers. that would confuse 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a class at 1700? You should be in a pub by then, not in class.

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! I should stage a protest. Maybe they have a protest society that I can join!

    ReplyDelete