Friday, February 13, 2009

BETSY!!!

So based on comment-response I don’t think I should write on boring-ish museums any more. Sorry boring-ish museums of the world! What I am going to tell you, therefore, has nothing to do with museums and is actually pretty exciting. I am partial owner of a van!

Yes, I am. Her name is Betsy. (Ah! the title makes sense now!) She cost, after taxes and everything, 450 pounds or around 68 pounds per person. I finally got to be driven to ASDA in Betsy yesterday. She ran really smoothly! Of course, we have to park her far away from other cars because she sort of need a jumpy rolling start. And until she’s warmed up the accelerator has to be pushed constantly or she’ll stall. (She’s also a manual, if you hadn’t guessed.)

You see, six other people and I are going on a road trip around Europe. How typical college student does that sound? I’m almost embarrassed at fitting so neatly into the “studying abroad college student” box. Wouldn’t it be more creative to, say, do a mini tour of boring-ish museums around Colchester over Spring Break?

We will be gone for two weeks and will follow this route: Belgium-Netherlands-Germany-Czech Republic-Slovakia-Austria-Italy-Switzerland-France-Germany-Luxembourg-Belgium and back! It’ll be fun. It’ll be busy. We probably won’t shower too much because we don’t want to pay for Hostels and have a tent. It’ll be a bonding experience! We aren’t really expecting Betsy to last the whole way; the Alps will be a bit difficult for an old van. So don’t worry, we’ll have other plans for if she dies.

Each person got a country to research, and we had meetings to discuss where we should go in each country. In Belgium we’ll be going to Brussels and Bruges, and have some frites and waffles and chocolate and beer. Then in the Netherlands we’ll go to Amsterdam and go to a Van Gogh museum, where apparently they will temporarily have Starry Night! I could go on about what we’re going to do, but these are just blue-prints and might be changed.

On a different note, I’m going to Suffolk today! My friend Faye is taking me to her house so I can see more of England. It should a ton of fun! I get to have a “fry up” on Sunday morning, which is apparently a ton of different food oozing with grease. Yumm!

On another different note, I’m 80% done with the first essay I have to turn in! (2,000 out of 2,500 words, and it’s due on the 20th.) I’m also around 25% done with the other two, which are due in 2 weeks. So much studying!

On another different note, yesterday I went to fencing and karaoke and a dance party! But it’s my only dance party of the week, and the whole night cost 1.50!

On another different note, today I get to open up a British bank account! That’s where I’m off to now. Bye!

Here’s a shorter version of the fun riddle last time:

Here are some words that you should find quite nice-
The first letters can be found in Macaw and Mice,
The second you can find in the middle of a Bug,
And the third letters are in Guppy and also in Pug.
These two words should be found first
If you really want to quench your thirst!
_ _ _ and _ _ _

Man, I could do these for years; they’re so fun! ...Yeah, I’m a bit of a nerd.

4 comments:

  1. A. When do I get to join these fun planning parties.
    B. Is ther enough room for 7 people in a tent. At least we won't be cold.
    C. How the hell are you blazing through your essays? I've not .05% or my three done (and they are all due on the 2nd!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Your trip sounds amazing!Do you know what parts of Germany you'll be traveling through?

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmarghheremmmmmm, grease, mmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren- A. Next time! B. yeah, it seats exactly 7! C. eheheh... I am now experiencing writer's block. very bad.

    Jaime- We're camping in the Black Forest! And going to berlin!

    Jim- weird-oh.

    ReplyDelete