Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fabulously Fattening Foods. Fun!

List of new stuff I ate this weekend, with some visual aid:
-Beef stew with dumplings and French bread- I unfortunately did not get a picture of this. It was absolutely beautiful!
-Scrambled eggs on toast/crumpets/English Muffins
-Prawn Crisps and Sesame Prawn bread
-Crunchy Seaweed
Cajun Squirrel, Chili Chocolate, and Crispy Duck and Hoisin flavored crisps

Above, you can see sweets from a sweet shop. My favorites were the ones that looked like sunny side up eggs! With the mushroom ones, one could almost have a candy fry-up!

Fry Up! This includes sausages, mushrooms, scrambled eggs, baked beans, ham(“bacon”), black pudding (aka congealed blood with other material.), toast
Roast! This includes mashed swede, broccolini, carrots, baked potatoes sans skin, roast lamb with mint sauce, Yorkshire pudding, baby potatoes, parsnips

Wow. Needless to say, I gained 23 pounds and now have to buy all new clothes. This is the price one pays for local cuisine! Well, let me see. I suppose I shouldn’t focus solely on food when I did in fact participate in some non-food-related activities. For instance, I went to the ruins in Bury St. Edmunds! Let me tell you a bit about Bury St Edmunds. King Edmund, the last Saxon king, was beheaded and then canonized. He was buried in Bury St Edmunds. And now the name of the town makes sense!

There is an abbey which was built in his honor, but was destroyed and is now known as the abbey ruins. This man obviously had some bad luck. Even things built after his decapitation were destroyed. The ruins were fun to walk around in and climb on, though.
Bury St Edmunds also is home to the smallest pub in Great Britain! I took a picture and then ran away when everyone looked at me like a tourist. These things happen.

I think I’ve written enough, so I’ll finish the weekend in the next entry, along with a description of the Pantomime I’m going to tonight!

6 comments:

  1. I got this great image of you taking a picture and running like you had just robbed a bank, everyone on the street just looking completely confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a poem about that abbey? I think there is...I think it was on my list of places to visit, but I didn't know where it was bacause all the poem said was that it was an abandoned abbey ruins. YAY! I will now go and fufill that dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ate the blood pudding? The cajun squirrel crisps? Would Gordon have been proud of the Yorkshire puddings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. a. that's pretty much what happened!
    b. I have no idea! But neat-o! You have the most exciting dreams! (e.g. going to an obstacle course in Switzerland!)
    c. yes, a bite, yes (there weren't real squirrel bits on them) and yes he would have! They were bleeping made from scratch, and with so much bleeping passion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think flesh eating gorillas are weaned on blood pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. actually, they have another flavor of crisps that I forgot to mention-- human blood flavor. That's the gorillas' general favorite.

    ReplyDelete