Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Soup Bowls and Jam. Fishy!

This Sunday was pretty jam-packed. Picture a suitcase which, when opened, is brimming with a globular mass of fruit preserves. That about sums up my day, and explains why I’m tired enough to use a jam-filled suitcase image. It started a little after 13:00, with me getting up and wondering if I really did have potatoes hurled at my head eight hours previously. When I was sure that my sanity was intact, I started my paper on Barbarism versus Civilization. I considered starting the paper with “Civilized people generally do not kill others with potatoes.”

I then went with Maddie and Lauren on our traditional fortnight expedition to Wivenhoe. We had to wait 45 minutes in the blistering cold and snow for a bus to show up. Madeline actually had to amputate three toes. Not really, of course, but I did make sure I had a butter knife ready just in case. We ate again at the Rose and Crown, did not seem quite as perfect as before, but still had wonderfully tasty food. We stayed there until 18:30. Church was from 19:30 to 21:30. Then we went to Super Bowl at 10:50 pm. (Sorry, I’m bored of 24 hour time.) That was ridiculously fun, as there were about 10 people from the states, and a lot of people from international locations. The bar was actually pretty packed, which I found surprising as most people around here insult American Football mercilessly.
Having fun watching American Football!

The Americans all stood up for the National Anthem, and one of the guys brought a Revolutionary War era U.S. flag. So there were 10 Americans singing as loudly as possible and holding up a giant American flag from the time where the U.S. was at war with Great Britain, surrounded by International students and English people. It was intense. In fact, this may have been the most exciting Superbowl I’ve experienced so far.

Loyalty was pretty much equal between the Cardinals and the Steelers, but the Cardinals fans were cooler of course. The game was actually extremely exciting, and I could have won a beer if the Cardinals had won. Darn Steelers! The game’s ending was obviously disappointing, but afterwards some people had a mini snowball fight. Of course, by then it was after 3:00 and most people had morning classes. I went to sleep feeling happy, even though my team lost in the last minute.

6 comments:

  1. "When I was sure that my sanity was intact, " - It was at that moment that this blog lost all credibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, at least it had credibility for a while! Unlike some readers who lost all credibility on their first comment... which may have been an incorrect statement about gorillas eating helpless women?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the sanity comment. Your grasp has never been firm in that respect. So a modifier would probably clear up this whole situation. You could consider: My sanity was at intact as it ever was; my sanity was still hanging by a thread; or throw it out all together with "I never cared much for my sanity." "Sanity is for other people." "Sanity shmanity."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or, to keep with the style of your posts titles, "Sans Sanity, Slaphappy Student Still Strives Scribling Soemthing"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh. Since some stinky, snickering stupidheads still state slanderous stories, sad students sometimes sniffle sadly. Shame!

    ReplyDelete