Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Painful Prognosis Pursued by Pleasurable Proctor’s Proclamation

Yesterday was an intense day, especially if considered as the full 24 hours. I spent, of course, the first 3 hours watching the Super bowl and having mini snow ball fights. I then slept in until 8:53. The alarm, which is a bit loud, startled me so much that I jumped out of bed, and gasped something cute like “Hurgh!” As I was utterly lacking in mental acuteness and sleep, this was my way of saying “Well, I’m not sure I should be awake already. I should remember this experience and give myself ample time to sleep in the future. Duly noted.”


I went to Computer Science, then went to the free dental check ups. It was held in a bar. I actually think this is a very wise choice of location. I told the dentist that my tooth has been hurting since my dentist in America filled a cavity. He kindly informed me that I would probably need a root canal. I asked why. He explained “The pain you are experiencing is your nerve dying. After it’s dead you won’t feel any more pain.” I smiled. Disaster averted! But he went on to say “then it will start housing bacterial infection. Your mouth will swell, your gums will bleed, and you’ll end up looking basically like Two Face from Batman.” He didn’t actually say that, don’t worry. Still, I was a bit depressed after hearing that. So I have to figure out a way to get a root canal done, and done cheaply! Well, maybe not too cheaply. I think there are movies about people who have inexpensive surgeries in foreign countries, and I don’t think they end happily.
Here is a drawing I did in class, which depicts the anguish my tooth has recently been feeling. A true artistic masterpiece born, like so many others, out of pain and suffering. (The thing on the left is a hammer, middle is a tooth, and right is a bomb. Okay, maybe it's not really a masterpiece. It has character!)

So I got back from that and found a letter from the Proctor waiting for me. The proctor, as you might know, is the person who gives you ridiculous fines and makes your life generally miserable. This letter, however, was full of sunshine and loveliness. I was told before that I would be fined 50 pounds for not exiting for a fire drill. After I complained a lot and composed beautiful letters of anguish, they let me know that they would not in fact fine me. Hooray! I was reading the letter in the elevator, alone, and did a celebratory fist pump when I read it. Of course they have CCTV, or Big Brother type cameras, all around campus and on elevators. So I embarrassed myself in front of a bored security person. These things happen. After this I planned a two week road trip around Europe with five other people* went to fencing and fenced for the first time with an epee, had a 2-on-2 saber melee, and went to the bar with the fencing people afterwards. Fun! Tonight I’m going to drown my sorrows in Jam Night music at Top Bar and then dance away my fear at Sports Fed. Neat!

*This needs its own entry. Just wait; it should be exciting!

6 comments:

  1. I think that is the most sad and afraid tooth I have ever seen! I hope you are taking it out on your fencing opponents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I was utterly lacking in mental acuteness" - credibility regained!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait. Dentist in a bar - BRILLIANT!!!! If this is what comes from socialized medicine, sign me up, Hillary!

    Also - proctor -that reminds me, time for my annual checkup....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! They gave out free toothpaste and toothbrushes and floss too! I'm ignoring the insult; I'm above that. And about the first comment: I just found out that Germany has the highest death rate for fencing, with around 4 deaths a year. I don't want to help the U.K. beat that record. I come in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where does Germany rank for people consumed by flesh eating Gorillas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Germany people don't worry about being killed by flesh-eating gorillas. Flesh-eating gorillas worry about being killed by people. As it should be!

    ReplyDelete