Friday, February 27, 2009

Too Busy for a Cute Title!

To start with, here are some more differences between life in the states and in England:

*The roads are really quite a bit smaller, and there are hardly any traffic lights. Instead, there are crazy roundabouts with multiple roundabouts outside one big roundabout. It’s all confusing to me.

*I’ve heard people say “wonky” to describe things

*There’s also this weird slang, though not everyone uses it. For instance, “have a bubble” means laugh. Why? Well, bubble bath rhymes with laugh... sort of. Interesting!

*People also say “mental” It’s mental how much they use mental. They use it in place of crazy. So picture someone saying “wow, that was a crazy play.” Here they say “that play was just mental!”

Speaking of mental plays, I saw a crazily mental play on Tuesday. It’s called Ape. It was actually quite funny, and I thought it was a lot more understandable than Anima, the last play I went to. In fact, there were quite a few scenes that I could relate to.

One scene, for instance, had two people sitting on chairs, in a mentally awkward silence. One of them finally said “I like carpet.” “You... like... carpet?” “I like carpet.” “I like carpet.” “I like carpet!” And they go on to discuss carpet without really saying anything. I mean, who hasn’t discussed carpet because there seemed to be nothing else worth talking about?

On the 25th, there were three birthdays to celebrate over here. (It was also Andrea’s birthday. Happy happy Birthday Awesome Andrea!) There were two different parties: one with a ton of food and another with champagne and hors d’oeuvres. It was fun! Yesterday I had to finish my two 2500 word essays. That was not quite as fun.

Today I’m going to Barcelona, so won’t be looking at a computer for the weekend. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, and I’ll write about my adventures on Monday or Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment