Thursday, February 19, 2009

Staying in Suffolk (or, Walking in Wellies last Weekend)

After seeing the ruins, we went to Ickworth House. It is an “Eccentric Neo-Classical” design. I thought it was lovely! Some didn’t agree, though. Lady Bristol called it “a stupendous monument of folly.” Well, that could be an oddly put compliment, I guess. Or maybe she meant “a stupendous monument of fall. Ee!” meaning, of course, that it reminds her of a refreshing autumn day and makes her chirp with delight. It was also under construction. Typical. What a monument of folly. The Ickworth House doesn't make me say Ick!

During the weekend I also went on a Grand Adventure. This involved putting on Wellies (which I couldn’t talk about without giggling like a school girl talking about her crush) and traversing through a stream in the rain with a hyper dog. First, let me say that Wellies are just galoshes. But, come on. Wellies. It sounds so ridiculously cute (especially with a British accent) that I’m laughing a bit even while I’m writing this. Whenever I say Wellies I sort of bob my head and grin. Anyways, the dog was also absurdly endearing- It chases its tail! Crazy. The river was nice, and not deep enough to splash over the Wellies, which was considerate of it. Here's one of the more strenuous climbs on the Grand Adventure. We were like explorers!

So, that was the English countryside. They have scarecrows. They have fields. They have quaint bridges. They have excessively winding, tiny, scary roads. I though I was going to die multiple times on the trip. It happens. Finally, though this is everywhere where there are older people, they have signs for Elderly People. One had a sign to watch for elderly people and ducks.

If anyone was wondering “does this young woman have a mature(pronounced mah- tour) sense of humour?” I doubt they do any more. Wellies and signs about elderly people crack me up. The good news is that I finished my Latin American Studies essay. Hoorah! Next entry, expect exciting exploits involving Pantomimes!

4 comments:

  1. OMG I have a picture of an Elderly People crossing sign from Wales It says "Henod" right below "Elderly people" because, I assume, it is in Welsh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just like the graphic... it looks like the woman is punching her husband in the back saying "hurry up you idiot! I told you we shouldn't cross!" And he's grumbling back at her. I don't see the happiest elderly people in that graphic, needless to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they have signs warning you about the FEG's? (flesh eating gorillas?????)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the sign looks like the people are leaning over admiring their wellies.

    ReplyDelete